Position: Director of Visual Media
(5+ Years Experience in design of graphics for museum exhibitions)
Ralph Appelbaum Associates, Inc. (RAA) are planners, designers, and producers of award-winning museums, exhibitions, visitor centers, heritage sites, and educational environments. Subject areas range from cultural, social, and corporate history to natural history and the physical sciences, to sports and the fine arts.
RAA seeks a talented, innovative Senior Exhibition Graphic Designer with 5 or more years of experience with strong design and communications skills as well as production experience to join the firm’s office in Berlin, Germany.
The Designer will be responsible for creating inspired, content-based visual strategies, from concept design to oversight of production and installation, for temporary and permanent exhibitions including exhibition media. The Designer will work within a project team and a wide diversity of clients to develop, document, and execute all design-related components, adhering to project schedules and budgets.
Qualifications and knowledge requirements:
- professional accredited masters degree in graphic design and/ or visual communication
- 5+ years of professional experience as a graphic designer in the field of museums and exhibitions, with at least 3 completed projects evidenced in portfolio.
- proven interest and experience in the development of content-led design and storytelling in museums,
- knowledge of the entire exhibition design process across the different project phases;
- confidence in the development and implementations of graphic identity, complex graphic systems, typography and visual language, application of graphic principals to media design as well as design of signage and wayfinding graphics.
- cross-disciplinary thinking, flexible and resilient; ability to work independently and as part of larger team as well as with clients and curators;
- ability to prepare and make presentations, facilitate workshops, communicate and present design ideas to the client;
- German proficiency required with a good command of English, other languages a plus;
- Mastery of graphic design programs (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Excel);